Organizer: Scott Sheldrake (Course Planner)
Map: Thetis Lake Park
We now have a second Virtual Orienteering event up at Thetis Lake! The Event is now Live as of Thursday April 16th and the printable maps for all three courses are posted here.
We are using the "MapRunF" app for iPhone or Android. MapRunF uses GPS to detect your location and virtually punch the controls. The app will automatically mark the control control point as completed and make a loud audible beep.
*** IMPORTANT Waiver Info *** : You must be a club member and have signed a waiver to participate. If you have already signed a waiver at a previous event in 2020 then no action is needed. If you are not a current paid member for 2020, please register online using the Zone4 link here : https://zone4.ca/register.asp?id=24135
Membership is free for first timers and $5 per year for returning members.
There are two ways you can enjoy this virtual orienteering course:
#1 - Print a map at home and use the MapRunF app to beep when you reach a control point. This is the closest to real orienteering. The printable map is posted on this page - please download and print a copy if you want to run with a map.
#2 - Use MapRunF as the map and follow along on the app as you run. Your current GPS position is not shown on the map but it will beep when you reach a control and show it as completed in green.
Here are the steps :
1. Download MapRunF from the App Store / Google Play Store (make sure to download MapRunF, not MapRun)
2. If prompted, enter your name, year of birth, etc.
3. Click "Events Near Me" if you are near Thetis Lake, or click "Select Event -> Canada -> BC -> Victoria
4. Select the "Thetis Lake" course (Beginner, Intermediate or Advanced)
5. Click "Go to Start" (Start location is near the Upper Thetis Parking Lot aka Dog Beach)
6. Run through the Start Triangle on the map to start!
7. Visit each control using either a printed map or the MapRunF app as the map. The app will beep as you hit each control.
To finish, run through the Finish Triangle. Your results will be saved automatically and you can see other runners results.
The course will be live as of Friday April 17th! The Maps are posted on this page if you want to print one, but using just the app works too. Go give it a try - Please send us feedback about your experience and let us know of any problems you may have! Please remember to practice social distancing at all times while at Thetis Lake.
PS - On the beginners course there is an area that is flagged Purple "Out of Bounds" between CP# 6 and CP #7 but you can run the trail here.
PPS - You can check results directly from the app by clicking "Results" or visit http://www.p.fne.com.au/#/fne and search for "Thetis"