Organizer: Scott Sheldrake (Event Director)
We now have a new Virtual Orienteering course up at Uvic! We are using a new app called "MapRunF" which uses strictly GPS instead of needing QR codes. The app will automatically detect when you have reached the control point and beep at you.
There are two ways you can enjoy this virtual orienteering course:
#1 - Print a map at home and use the MapRunF app to beep when you reach a control point. This is the closest to real orienteering. The printable map is posted on this page - please download and print a copy if you want to run with a map.
#2 - Use MapRunF as the map and follow along on the app as you run. Your current GPS position is not shown on the map but it will beep when you reach a control and show it as completed.
Here are the steps :
1. Download MapRunF from the App Store / Google Play Store (make sure to download MapRunF, not MapRun)
2. When prompted enter your name, year of birth, etc.
3. Click "Events Near Me" if you are near Uvic, or click "Select Event -> Canada -> BC -> Victoria
4. Select the Uvic" event
5. Click "Go to Start" (Start location is at Lot 1 at Uvic)
6. Run through the Start Triangle on the map to start!
7. Visit each control using either a printed map or the MapRunF app as the map. The app will beep as you hit each control.
To finish, run through the Finish Triangle. Your results will be saved automatically and you can see other runners results.
The course is now Live! The Map is posted on this page if you want to print it, but using just the app works too. Go give it a try - Please send us feedback about your experience and let us know of any problems you may have! Please remember to practice social distancing at all times while at Uvic.
PS - Apparently Control #3 is a bit off - so you may have to run around a little bit to hit it. Feedback from other runners.
PPS - You can check results directly from the app by clicking "Results" or visit http://www.p.fne.com.au/#/fne and search for "Uvic"